by David Wallace
Be sure to watch the video of Dr Ayalew Tefferi, from Mayo Clinic, as he explains the initiative. Click below for the article.
As a cancer patient who takes a cocktail of cancer drugs costing WELL over $13,000/month (Jakafi/Pegasys), “I feel like a prisoner wrapped in chains” at the mercy of drug companies and insurance companies who can change or deny coverage at any time directly impacting my quality of life and future health.
Protest High Cancer Drug Prices so all Patients with Cancer have Access to Affordable Drugs to Save their Lives.
• Cancer drug prices are increasing at an alarming rate, which is causing harm to patients.
• Prices have increased more than tenfold between 2000 (average price $5,000-$10,000 per year) and today (average price of new cancer drugs exceeds $120,000 per year).
• The average price of cancer drugs is increasing by about $8,500 a year. The average household income today for a family of four is $52,000, down 8% from a decade ago.
• Even patients with insurance have out-of-pocket expenses of 20-25%. Since each American has a 1 of 3 lifetime chance of developing cancer, every one of us is at risk of being unable to pay for the prescription medicines that will control and cure our cancer.
• This could force many families to decide whether to pay $25,000 a year for one cancer drug, about half the household income, or forgo the treatment to save the money for other necessities.
• The high price of cancer drugs is causing harm by shortening the lives of patients who cannot afford the treatment. This is an injustice that creates differential treatment conditioned by financial status.
Click below for the petition, I signed it and it needs the support of us all! We can fight back against the escalating cost of cancer drugs.